Saturday, January 11, 2014

Almost there...

Hello all! My name is Cameron Polomski, and I'm a junior at the University of South Carolina. I am participating in the National Student Exchange at the University of Idaho for Spring 2014. My journey began yesterday, January 10, at 5 a.m. Eastern Time, and after many a delay and layover, I arrived in Seattle, Washington at 11:45pm Pacific Time. Fortunately my cousin, Eva, lives in Seattle, where I stayed for two nights before my flight to Spokane on Sunday morning. All day Saturday, I was taking in the sights and sounds of Seattle. The day started off raining. I can't say I was too surprised, knowing a bit about Seattle weather before I arrived. The rain obscured "scenic" overlooks into the downtown area and Puget Sound, so we continued on our way. After eating lunch at a local Vietnamese place, the sun came out and I finally got to see some sights:

After, I went down to the old market place to see what it was like. That part of the city had been there for over a hundred years, which was apparent in the old-timey fashion of it. We happened to be there during a Seattle Seahawks playoff game, and the natives are crazy about their Seahawks. Seemingly every shop owner in the marketplace had a Seahawks hat or jersey and/or a radio to listen to the game while working.

 Another interesting thing about the downtown area was the "green" presence of mind. Wherever there was a trash can, compost and recycling bins were closely attached. The city takes pride in the fact that it has good air quality and minimal trash for such a large city.
Although Seattle was cold and rainy while I was here to visit, I greatly enjoyed everything it had to offer. I hope to be back someday. Next stop: Spokane. Then I take a shuttle headed for the final destination, Moscow, Idaho.

No comments:

Post a Comment